The Center for Study of Social Exclusion and Inclusive Policy at Manipur University was started under the guidance of Professor L Tombi Singh. The center conducts seminar/ workshops/ conference to achieve her prime goals.
• The main objectives of the Centre is to study the plan and policy of the disadvantaged groups and to analyse and reviewed the studied literatures regarding Social Exclusion and discrimination in India especially North East (Manipur). It also aims to create awareness at every levels and areas so as to empower the marginalised section of our society.
• To develop distinctive approach to Social exclusion
• To create index and indicators on Social exclusion
• To critically evaluate the existing public policies vis-à-vis Social Exclusion
• To develop alternative model for future public policy initiatives.
• To conceptualise discrimination, exclusion and inclusion based on ethnicity, religion, age, race, gender, physical and psychological abilities in the Indian context
• To formulate policy guidelines for protecting the rights of socially excluded groups and suggesting ways of eradicating the problem of exclusion and discrimination.
• Developing an understanding of discrimination at an empirical level.
• To eliminate social exclusion in all forms from the society
• To Spread the feeling of oneness of human kind.
• To develop an understanding of the nature and dimensions of discrimination and exclusion
Social exclusion is a multidimensional process of progressive social rupture, detaching groups and individuals from social relations and institutions and preventing them from full participation in the normal, normatively prescribed activities of the society in which they live. The outcome of multiple deprivations that prevent individuals or groups from participating fully in the economic, social, and political life of the society in which they live. “Social exclusion is about the inability of our society to keep all groups and individuals within reach of what we expect as a society... to realise their full potential."
The Indian society specially the North Eastern States and particularly Manipur today is characterized by Discrimination, Deprivation, Stigmatization and Marginalization of some groups, Strata and area in varied degree, level and intensity which is inter and intra in nature. This often leads to exclusion of some groups/communities in the socio-economic and political development process. This social exclusion is the by-product of faulty policy and plans, rampant Corruption at all levels, Criminalization of Politics, Politicization of religion, Politics of Domination and ever increasing assertion of different ethnic identities and nationalism among others at the expense of Social Unity and Peace, Communal Harmony, socio-economic development and even territorial Integrity.
The Centre for Study of Social Exclusion and Inclusive Policy (CSSEIP) aims at building an egalitarian manipuri society through dynamic, innovative, inclusive modes of proven quality education and preserving the cultural diversity while promoting communal harmony at all levels. The Centre visualises social change by creating a socio-economic and politico-legal justice and a sense of pride and dignity in every citizen through inclusive means. It also aims at liberating the marginalised by redeeming them from their untold misery and tragic sufferings and ultimately to include them in the main stream of development by way of inclusive approach in social, economic, cultural, political and psychological realm and thereby creating an egalitarian society to make every Indian proud of himself and his country.